Friday, June 12, 2015

Basic Napa Cabbage Kimchi

Kimchi is nothing but fermented napa cabbage with spices. When you get it ready made it has very peculiar smell of fish sauce, which as a vegetarian I just can not stand it. So I tried to make it at home only so I can enjoy it whenever I want to and above all it's fermented food so he also can have it, that's the reason I didn't make it very spicy so my husband can enjoy it. If you can find it Korean red chili powder then use it otherwise regular Kashmiri chili powder is fine. If you are using fish sauce by all means use it and less salt than. And it want to add radish that also goes very well in this.


Ingredients 

1 medium head of Napa cabbage
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp grated garlic
1 tbsp. grated ginger
1 to 5 tbsp. Korean red pepper flakes or kashmiri red chili powder
If you are using radish or daikon, peeled and chopped in medium cubes


Method:

Cut the cabbage in half then again half , remove the cores and cut it in 2 inch wide strips.Put the cabbage and salt in a large bowl, mix it with your hands so cabbage get little softer. Add water to cover the cabbage and put some plate on top and weigh it down with heavy stuff like some kind of jar or can or even water filled container.

Leave this way overnight. After that rinse and drain the cabbage and wash it under cold water for 2-3 times so all the salt goes away.Combine garlic , ginger, red chil powder according to your taste and mix it. Gently squeeze any water from the cabbage and add it in that spice mixture.  Mix it nicely with your hands if you can , otherwise use spoon because it's spicy and it will smell and burn too if you are not careful.Leave it in that container for one day and then put it in jar. 

Keep it outside till it becomes fermented totally, you can check for it by pressing down the vegetables with a spoon so all the brine will stay down. When its ripe enough , then put it in fridge. I started using it next day because I couldn't  wait but if you can give at least 3-4 days to ferment. You can have it as it is or with some burger or sandwich as a condiments.  Adopted from here.



13 comments:

  1. Cabbage looks delish! And this recipe is very new to me. Going to give it a try !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure try it and welcome to my blog and thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. we love kimchi and this looks so yumm...seems like you reading our mind posting all our fav chutneys and comdiments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well that what friends are for, thanks Dear and try it and let me know.

      Delete
  3. I love kimchi.. this looks a bit milder in chillies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, if you have it the post, you know the reason being not spicy one.

      Delete
  4. My husband is a great fan of kimchi.Will give this a try ,it looks like our pickle without tempering isn't not ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can say that. Try it and let me know if you make it. Thanks

      Delete
  5. I have never tried Kimchi but my husband did in a restaurant recently and absolutely love it so I really ought to make this for him:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure , its very easy and taste yum. thanks Camilla

      Delete
  6. My husband fav...looks delicious
    Enter to win giveaway in my blog
    http://foodybuddy.net/2015/06/10/my-first-giveaway-engraved-bamboo-cutting-board.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, wholesome recipe! Thank you for sharing your Napa Cabbage Kimchi with us at the Hearth and Soul hop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by at my blog. Your comments are very valuable for me so drop me a line.
Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Copy right

All recipes on this blog is copy righted by me, the blog owner.

Welcome all food lovers

Hi Welcome to my blog. I am stay at home mom with two cute kids, one boy and one girl and only masi of my amazing nephew. I love to cook and make new friends so lets start a new friendship. You can contact me at patel.linsy@gmail.com.


Labels

Followers

Flag Counter
myTaste.com
Top Food Blogs

Won Best Recipe from Arthy Shama

Won Best Recipe from Arthy Shama
Vegetable Deewani Handi

Winer of Best Recipe - Calzone

Winer of Best Recipe - Calzone
From Sowmya and Nithu's Space

Award from Rashmi from Aromatic Encounters

Award from Rashmi from Aromatic Encounters

Best Mexian dish award from Janet

Best Mexian dish award from Janet

Top Contributor Award

Expert Blogger Award from The Yogi Vegetarian

Expert Blogger Award from The Yogi Vegetarian

Participation Certificate

Top contributor Award

Top contributor Award

Participation Award

Participation Award

Participation Certificate

Participation Certificate

Winning Dish - Malai Kofta

Winning Dish - Malai Kofta

Participation Certificate

Participation Certificate

Leibster Award from Sabeena

Leibster Award from Sabeena

Liebster Award

Liebster Award
By My Food Treasures

Best Salad recipe from Jalela

Best Salad recipe from Jalela

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Best Healthy dish Award

Best Healthy dish Award

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Awards

Award

Award

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Certificates