Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sweet and Spicy Lemon Pickle / Limbu nu Athanu

Ok this pickle is my most favorite one in childhood. I can have roti and pickle for my lunch and diner. My mom used to make this in big batch in pickle season and we eat year around. Coming to US I didn't made in that big batch but at least that much I make so I can enjoy and cherish for  days. This is not instant pickle, you have to wait at least two weeks to eat it but outcome is amazing. Before even writing this post I already finish two slices of lemon from jar. You have to put slices in salt and turmeric powder for at least good seven days or depend upon how fast the skin turned its color. Best time to make this in summer so it works fast. But hey anytime is pickle time for me. I didn't had time in summer so didn't made it but I can use fall sun which I can use for my pickle. Use new red chili powder for nice color, old one makes dull color. So Keep this things in mind before you make.

Ingredients :

8 big Limes or lemons
2 cups of grates jiggery (depend upon sourness of lemons, you can decrease or increase sweetness)
1 table spoon red chili powder
1 tsp. turmeric powder
salt to taste

Method:

Cut limes in half and then again half. If its big then make it 3 slices.
Add salt and turmeric powder and shake it well.

Keep the lid on and put it in sun.
Day 1

Day 3

shake it every day  3-4 times.


Day 5 , see how skin changes it color
At day 7 , add grated jiggery and red chili powder. leave it again in sun till it melts in sun heat.
It will take how hot the sun is. Mine took 3 days to melt.
Once its melted , take it out in glass bottle and enjoy with your diner or lunch.

Pickle is now ready to eat.
Hearth & Soul Hopspice trail badge square

20 comments:

  1. Looks delish! but I'm afraid I'll have to wait til next Summer to make it, as we don't have much in the way of sunshine herer right now :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super pickle, perfect side dish for thayir sadham...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickle looks perfect, luv the step-by step pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its my fav too. Can have it almost everyday as a condiment with rice. That zang is so good esp paired with rasam and sambar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the name pickle in a post makes me salivate. Nice recipe.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...they are tingling....love it dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mouthwatering...by reading itself I am drooling...super recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking pickle I too made something similar will post soon like u said anytime is pickle time for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting and different pickle. Thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rarely this type of blogs are found with a great information.I would love to suggest people to read your blog and share the information. You want to Enjoy tasty home made pickle India ? Now you can Buy pickles directly from India’s favorite traditional pickle makers right from the comfort of your home.indian pickles online

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you heard about offer from picklemasti(dot)com, they are offering free a sample of Mango Pickle (100gms) at your doorstep absolutely FREE!!!Great offer isn’t! So, grab this opportunity as Limited offer Indian pickle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by at my blog. Your comments are very valuable for me so drop me a line.
Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Copy right

All recipes on this blog is copy righted by me, the blog owner.

Welcome all food lovers

Hi Welcome to my blog. I am stay at home mom with two cute kids, one boy and one girl and only masi of my amazing nephew. I love to cook and make new friends so lets start a new friendship. You can contact me at patel.linsy@gmail.com.


Labels

Followers

Flag Counter
myTaste.com
Top Food Blogs

Won Best Recipe from Arthy Shama

Won Best Recipe from Arthy Shama
Vegetable Deewani Handi

Winer of Best Recipe - Calzone

Winer of Best Recipe - Calzone
From Sowmya and Nithu's Space

Award from Rashmi from Aromatic Encounters

Award from Rashmi from Aromatic Encounters

Best Mexian dish award from Janet

Best Mexian dish award from Janet

Top Contributor Award

Expert Blogger Award from The Yogi Vegetarian

Expert Blogger Award from The Yogi Vegetarian

Participation Certificate

Top contributor Award

Top contributor Award

Participation Award

Participation Award

Participation Certificate

Participation Certificate

Winning Dish - Malai Kofta

Winning Dish - Malai Kofta

Participation Certificate

Participation Certificate

Leibster Award from Sabeena

Leibster Award from Sabeena

Liebster Award

Liebster Award
By My Food Treasures

Best Salad recipe from Jalela

Best Salad recipe from Jalela

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Best Healthy dish Award

Best Healthy dish Award

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Awards

Award

Award

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Certificate

Certificates